Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My new love

So I got a new job! Probably going to be the best and hardest job I have had. I am officially in charge of a nine week old baby girl named Whitley Marie. Though I haven't started full time I am watching her several times a week so mom can get ready to go back to work and get used to being away from her new joy. With this job I thought it would be fun to post the things I am learning about raising a child. You know for future reference! So here is my first thing...

You can try a schedule but babies don't care about them! Even though Whitley has been put on a good three hour schedule she doesn't want to stick to that. Though I think it is because she just got back from Jamaica and has to get used to the old way of things again! But hey what eight week old wouldn't want to be with her entire family for one week on a warm island for Christmas?! No I am no dummy I have had my share of babysitting babies so I know that there is very little consistency! 

2 comments:

Linny Best said...

you can get them on a schedule, but it changes constantly and it's not like a schedule with the same definition that we are used to...you gotta be flexible, that's the first thing I really learned about being a parent...and I don't think that will change soon!!

Caedmon is on a pseudo schedule, if you will...he always has 5-7 bottles a day...two big naps (2-4 hours a piece) and a few cat naps in between...I try to keep him with 3 hours between bottles, but lately he is barely making 2 hours...I think it's a matter of knowing your baby and learning what he needs and wants when he tries to tell you, since all he can do is cry!! and you'll get that way with babysitting too...I know the babies we watch at school, and it makes it so much easier to take care of them...they know what they want and need and have their own personal way of telling you...it's so neat to witness.

i love being a mom and I am truly thankful that I had so much experience with babies and kids before I had my own...watching this little girl will be great practice for you!

have fun and keep taking these mental notes...you know, for later! ;)

Linny Best said...

wow, that was a long comment...sorry bout that!!